6.28.2009

Design ethics


I gave a talk to George Fox University art and design students on how my path has been shaped by ethical considerations. I handed out these cards with a link to my blog and how to find a couple of essays online that were meaningful milestones for me regarding design ethics.


I also talk about projects at my previous job that I found troubling ethically. This logo was one such project: an identity design for a company that created interactive tv, a way for people to connect with brands in ways that "will create a true relationship between viewer and product and may even encourage them to internalize brands as an element of personal culture and self-expression." In other words, encourage people to watch more tv, buy stuff through their tvs, and ultimately define themselves through the brands they consume. Needless to say, I was thankful to switch jobs shortly thereafter.